Thursday, April 30, 2015

This is me

This is me
Fighting to make it through Sea Trials
Preforming the tasks asked of me
Pouring down rain
Making it hard to stay on my feet in the plank
War paint on my terrified yet determined face
My body trembling with fists clenched
Midshipman yelling and candidates crying
Cameras all around me
People telling me to keep going
Scared to quit but cannot keep going
Finally the other candidates fall
I finish second out of 80 men and women
Beaten by a young man who did not give up
Finally I fall, unable to hold it any longer
But I never gave up and never will

This is a young girl
Her hard work is paying off
She has discovered what she is made of
She has joined a brotherhood

This is a girl who was nominated to sing "Navy Blue and Gold"
An honor that many will never have
An honor that many do not know of
A feeling that cannot be explained
This is a moment that she will never forget
and a moment that changed her forever

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! "I finish second out of 80 men and women/Beaten by a young man who did not give up." So impressive, Boo. I enjoyed the photos in your senior ad in the yearbook, too!

    ReplyDelete